Thursday, November 18, 2010

How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn't have a changing station?

I haven't run into this situation yet, but I've noticed different places I've gone that does not have a changing station. How should I change my baby if there is no changing station? I'd be really embarrassed if someone walked in to see me changing my baby on a changing pad on the floor!How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
Do not change your baby on the floor!! Those things are filthy and crawling with germs. I really even hate to use changing tables for the same reason, even with a blanket or paper towels laid on it. I usually change her right in her stroller if I have it with me or go out to my car.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
Usually if they don't have one then I will do it on the sink ( if they have a big enough counter ) or on the floor. Most people are understanding.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
You do the best you can, then when you leave you explain to the manager why you won't be back.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
You can either go and find a bench somewhere or do it in your car. I definitely would NOT change my baby on the floor, especially in a public restroom!How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I would just do it in the car. We have done this a few times so far.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
if baby is in the pram just lay back the pram and do it in there if not it is usually a trip back to the car and lay baby on the seatHow do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I usually just change him in the car.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I HATE when places dont have a changing station. I have a changing pad in my diaper bag. I pick the handicap stall and change her on the floor in there and usually end up with a sore back and knees by the time I'm done with the whole ordeal.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
i use the counter if there is one. or go to the car.

but once i was at a fast food place and there was no changing table, and no counter. so i changed him in the corner table at the fast food place lol.

* i would never use the floor of a public restroom, even with a changing pad *How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I hear ya! I've been one to have grabbed a whole bunch of paper towels - laid them all over the dirty floor, grabbed my changing pad and changed my baby! However, most places have large sink areas which I clean up with paper towel or toilet paper and do my best to make sure my baby's hands stay tight from touching anything icky...it's a balancing act that's for sure, but beats cleaning up the floor to do it. Sometimes if there's no where to change and the floor is too nasty I'll change it where ever...even at the booth we were sitting at at the restaurant and I got dirty looks - but I just said %26quot;they have no change table!!!!%26quot; Id rather dirty looks from strangers than a fussy, crying stinky baby!How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
If there isn't enough room to change your baby on the counter, go into the handicapped bathroom. There should be enough room to change your baby on the floor and it's unlikely that anyone will notice.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I make sure I have a large blanket with me at all times...not necessarily to cover baby with, but because I actually ran into this dreaded situation once in a local restaurant when my daughter was tiny. Not only was there no changing station, they had a pedestal sink...so there wasn't even any counter space. Nothing to be embarrassed about, really. It's just one of the duties of parenthood, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.



Another option would be to do it in the car, on the back seat (another trick I've done when necessary), but that particular time it wasn't an option...it was February in NE Ohio and below freezing temps!



Good luck!How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I run into this sometimes because some places only have changing areas in the womens' restroom.



Anyway, I just try to find a flat clean surface somewhere: a sink counter, the floor (if it's clean -- I use a changing pad, but there are limits), whatever. It's never come to this but in principle I have no objection to changing my baby outside of the restroom, like right on the table in a restaurant, or on the grass outside in a park. I would consider it my own little protest against the lack of a changing station. ;)



EDIT: I just wanted to add, I've seen places where even a surprisingly large bathroom has no changing station, like in a few airport terminals. Sometimes, though, there is a completely separate room (like a %26quot;family restroom%26quot;) you can use instead, so look for that before you give up.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
If there's a big counter, use that. If not, go into a stall and change the baby; by all means cover the floor before you put the pad down. It's not your fault there isn't a changing station. You should also complain to management. Guys have to be creative with diaper changes all the time; most mens restrooms do not have changing tables. My hubby informed me of this.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
as for me.. at my place where i stay.. some of the mall don't have changing station.. so this is what i did.. my son has his pushchair.. so i brought him to the ladies room.. put the recliner on laying position.. then just change the diaper as usual.. wet tissue helps a lot..How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
Eww..dont change him on the floor! So many germs. You can change your baby on the sink as long as you've got a pad down. If you are that concerned about privacy, change him in the car on the seat.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I changed my baby on my lap. Just lay her head on your knees and change her that way. It worked for me.How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
I will not change my son in a bathroom without a changing table.

I have run into this situation.

I was in a HUGE Sheraton Hotel- there were literally 20 public bathrooms- not one had a baby changing station- can you believe it?

I refused to change him in the bathroom without a changing table. I was so furious after walking into 4 different bathrooms- that I found a remote hallway of the hotel and quickly changed him there. In general, this would not be my recommeded solution- but it was better than the bathroom floor- and we have a lovely changing pad built into our diaper bag.



In general, I would use the car over a public bathroom floor- I know my car is much cleaner.



Also I have been in a restaurant (of all places) without a baby changing table. I asked them where to go - and strangely, they told me to go into the banquet room (not in use) and change him in there on a table.



In Bloomingdale's, we have used the couches in the women's restroom when the mom's lounge was backed up on a crowded Saturday- I took the cue from another women who was already changing her daughter and made room for us.



There isn't really one answer for this question- you just get to improvise depending on the exact situation you're in!!

Just don't use the floor of the bathroom- they are REALLY gross and kept that clean. Remember, industrial flusher toilets (the public ones) can spray tiny particles in general up to 3 feet- sometimes more- so that can go a long way on the floor!!!How do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
OMG this actually happened to me once but I had himin the car seat so I just changed him in it and it happened to my cousin as well so she changed him on the floor but on top of a blanketHow do you change a baby in a public restroom that doesn%26039;t have a changing station?
Well I usually just go to a place that has one. Usually if there are many stores and restaurants around one of them has to have a changing table. I know that might not be the answer you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment