Thursday, September 22, 2011

Where do you change a baby's diaper on an airplane?

When I had to change my then 3 month old (who was as big as a 6 month old) on the airplane, I was baffled as to where he could be changed. The bathrooms are so tiny. I resorted to using the top of the toilet lid. His head was tilted down on one side of the toilet lid and his legs were hanging off the other end of the toilet lid but I managed to make it work. If he were any bigger then the toilet lid would have been too small. I changed my then 2 year old standing up but thankfully he only had a wet diaper. If he had a poopy diaper I would have been at a loss. He would have been too long to even lay on my lap.



How/Where do you change diapers on an airplane?Where do you change a baby%26039;s diaper on an airplane?
Use the handicapped lavs instead. They are much roomier and yes, I was able to change my toddlers standing up, the scary diapers and was even able to do it with my girls. My cousin who also live abroad and flies a lot taught me. She has twins plus a littler one so she had tons of tips.



Putting down the lid of the toilet never worked for me either.



Practice at home first and you may need to take off the bottom clothing. Sit on your feet and have him face away from you. When you practice at home, put a towel over you and one on the floor.



(Stop here anyone who doesn't have kids and are therefore more easily grossed out!)



From the front and the back, pinch in and try to catch as much inside the diaper as possible. Have a bag handy to quickly discard. Clean up with wipes from the outside as much as possible. Then tip the toddler backwards into your lap and have him stick his legs up. You can then do a big wipe up and promise, if you managed the %26quot;pinch%26quot; technique, you wont have that much left.



Yes, this will take a tad longer but having to stuff a big toddler on to one of the miniscule changing tables and plain old having to make a toddler lie down in a strange place take up time too. This almost eliminates the struggling. With their feet planted, they tend to be more cooperative.



There are always handicapped lavs on aircraft (required if it's a U.S. company). It's also good for airports and shopping malls where you can easily find larger stalls but not necessarily big enough changing tables.



If the floor of the lav is kind of gross, just cover it with those paper towels. Keep you knees clean.



For more information on flying with children, I wrote a totally non-commercial article about 8 years ago. I put it on a blog to share with other parents, who over the years have also contributed. I'm in the middle of re-editing it so you may want to check back if you're not flying in the next few days.



Feel free to visit; http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com



Good luck with the practice %26amp; the flight!Where do you change a baby%26039;s diaper on an airplane?
The bathroom!!!!!!!Where do you change a baby%26039;s diaper on an airplane?
I thank you from the bottom of my childfree heart for NOT changing your children in your row of seats!



I think you did the right thing by changing your child how you did. Maybe next time though, get the flight attendants attention and tell them what you are about to do. Ask if they have a change mat to cushion your child's head and ask if it's okay to leave the door open in the toilet as there is insufficient room.
  • red down comforter
  • adjectives proof
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment