Thursday, September 22, 2011

How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?

I nurse my 3-week-old daughter every 3 hours right now - I don't time it, it's her schedule. I was wondering, how often do you feed a baby that's 2, 3, or 6 months old. And what about when they start eating solids? Just wondering what I have to look forward to.

ThanksHow does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
My son nursed every 2 hours from 2-4 months. From 0-2 months he nursed NON-STOP! The boy was born at 8lb9oz and doubled his weight by his 3 month checkup!! haha... Then at 5 months he started nursing every 3 or 4 hours. I introduced solid food at 6 months. I pureed him fresh fruits and vegetables. He's 10 months and still nursing. Now he nurses usually every 4 hours.. so roughly 6 times in 24 hours. He eats 3 solid food meals a day with a snack or two on top of that and 6 breastfeedings! He's 90th percentile for height and 75th for weight.



My son was the same way with the schedule.. I fed on demand but it always seems to be exactly 4 hours he wants it! (or 2 hours when he was younger.) They have good internal clocks! Oh.. and when he is teething he wants to nurse allllll the time! He's teething today.. working on tooth 7 %26amp; 8 I think.. i swear he's been nursing every 2 hours for like 20 minutes. Poor guy is just looking for comfort. Little gums hurt! He tried to eat a banana during breakfast and even chewing that had him in tears!!! I'm really glad the nursing helps him when he's like this but it's crazy how often he has been going today!! Anyways, hope this helps!



EDIT: As far as how long each feeding is.. I remember in the beginning he took 20 minutes to nurse. Once he was about 4 months it was never over 5 minutes. They get fast!How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
6 months is the earliest you introduce solids or anything other then the breast. Some infants wait much longer.



You continue nursing at their schedule as they grow, there may be times when they sleep longer then usual and you wake them up to nurse because of discomfort, but that's it. I nursed usually 10-12 times a day with my sons until weaning, which was about 9 months (he was weaned at 12 months) with my oldest, and 11 months with my youngest (weaned at 2 years). Well, I nursed my youngest at least 8 times a day, often 10 times, until I started actively weaning him at 22 months.How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
My almost 5 month old has been nursing every 3 hours (except at night he wakes up once) since the beginning he made his own scheldule at 2 months, i have not yet started him on solids as im waiting for his first tooth or til he is 6 months old!

hope you have fun being a mum!How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
My midwife said I could start weaning at 6 months. To start with pureed fruit and veg. My daughter is almost 4 months old and she can feed in about 20 minutes. The first few weeks are the hardest. Hang in there.How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
Well I BF my daughter to 4 and my son is 2.5 and still nursing.



It all changes a little at a time and you really dont notice it. I bet you have noticed that when she hits a growth spurt she will eat more well as they grow they eat less... My son never really ate solids till 12 months. Starting at 6 months he played with some mushed food but was not too into it.



By the time they are 6 months to a year old they are nursing a lot less but maybe more frequently than you would expect. It is more like they nurse for 3-5 minutes, get down crawl/walk around get spooked or too far from you and come to nurse for comfort. Yes they will nurse for 10-15 minutes maybe 2-3 times a day but they begin to snack also.



I cant explain it but slowly with each passing month the time you spend doing it does decrease.



Good luck!How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
At 2,3, %26amp; 6 months your feedings will be longer apart, but they will take in more. Their stomachs just get bigger and can hold more milk that lasts them longer (just like adults, but not quite)



When they start eating solids, you'll just replace the milk feeding with a solid food. You will still nurse about 2-3 times a day though. You can now start solids at 4-6 months, but its not to replace the milk feeding at that age. It's just to introduce solids. Think of it as a treat. When your baby is 6+ months you can start replacing a few milk feedings with solid food.How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
Every baby is different, of course, so you can't really know what to expect. But your baby will probably nurse on that same schedule until she starts solids. With, of course, increased nursings at the major growth spurts of 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months (some babies have one at 4 months as well). During a growth spurt, baby can nurse as much as every hour for several days. Stick through it. She is upping your supply to meet her needs.



In my case, my son (now 3 1/2 years old) nursed every 2-3 hours until he was 1. And then he went to about every 4-5 hours until he weaned at 15 months.



My daughter is now 11 months. She nursed ever 2-3 hours until about 9 months and now will go sometimes 4 hours without nursing.



Hope that helps!How does breastfeeding change as the baby gets older?
there usually healthy if u breastfeed them then when they get teeth stop
  • the best way to get odor out of blankets
  • find windows xp laptops
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment