Thursday, June 2, 2011

How does a downs baby changed your life?

My cousin just found out she is having a baby with down's syndrome. They are devastated. This will be the second child. The first is perfectly healthy.



I am feeling sad for them. I want to think that this child will provide joy. I know there will be difficulties. What steps can parents take to ensure a good quality of life for these kids.How does a downs baby changed your life?
My brother was born with Down sydrome. He is the best person in the world. He is the only one who can cheer me up no matter what happens. He is so fun to be around and so laid back and it rubs off on everyone he meets.



I know in the first few years of his life he was sick in and out of the hospital. I don't know if it had to do with him being born with Downs, unrelated problems, or a combination of the two. After the first 2 years of his life, things looked more positive. My Mom said he was the easiest to raise out of 3 children. She said if she could have %26quot;10 Michael's she would!%26quot; They bring so much joy.



Now with todays technology, they have tests that screen for fetal abnormalties and it gives the parents longer to accept it and enough time to prepare and educate themselves. My brother is 20 so when my Mom was pregnant, ultrasounds didn't pick up on anything. She didn't know she was having a baby with Down syndrome until hours after she gave birth.



The best thing for the expectant couple to do is to educate themselves. Do research, find support groups that are going through the same thing.How does a downs baby changed your life?
The amount of disability varies widely with these kids, and will be more apparent over time. I don't have a child with Downe's, but many years ago I taught Catechism to a group of Mongoloid teenage adolescent boys. These were all pretty much happy kids and there parents seemed to love them all very much. More than a few told me privately that they felt very blessed to be a parent to their special child. The parents seemed happy, well-adjusted and optimistic about life. I think your cousin's reaction is normal. I also suspect it will most likely change quite a bit for the better, over time :)How does a downs baby changed your life?
honestly, I have never personally known a baby with down syndrome but I was interested in being a teacher at one point - and in taking a lot of education classes, I read a book called %26quot;expecting adam,%26quot; by martha beck. it's a BEAUTIFULLY written memoir about a woman who finds out she's having a baby with down syndrome and it goes through her struggle during her pregnancy with coming to terms with the diagnosis and goes through the beginning years of her baby's life. it's AMAZING. I'd suggest buying them a copy.



http://www.amazon.com/Expecting-Adam-StoHow does a downs baby changed your life?
first the parents need to get educated. read about down syndrome, find local support groups, talk to other parents with children like theirs. search for early intervention services because most likely the child will need therapy such as speech, physical or occupational. create a support network.... friends family neighbors health professionals .. this is important! kids are stressful but a disabled child can add a little more. come to terms with having a disabled child and realize that god has gave you a gift that he doesn't trust most parents with... he gave you his most precious of children... a disabled child. give yourself permission to take time for yourself. if you don't take care of yourself how can you take care of a child? this should be a good start but state and federal agencies should be contacted about services they can offer. the rest will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment